Wednesday 2 September 2009

Do you give your clients the opportunity to be 'Up Sold' to?

My eldest daughter Georgie goes back to school tomorrow (she can't wait!) so we did the inevitable visit to the shoe shop to buy 'suitable' shoes!

When we had both finally agreed on a pair (quite a challenge I can assure you!), the patient, helpful assistant took us over to the till (she had been brilliant throughout the whole process!) to pay. Before she scanned the box she asked me if I had any of the special water resistant spray which would be needed to keep the shoes protected.

I'm sure this scenario is very familiar. It's actually a great example of an up-sell: getting the customer to part with just a bit more money.

Now because the assistant had been so attentive during our purchase I didn't feel as though she was selling to me. It just felt like a natural add on to her excellent customer service and because she posed the question in such a natural way, it didn't grate on me like it sometimes can. So I said yes, we'd take one!

Up sells can be an incredibly powerful way to grow your bottom line and whilst it is a simple strategy, many businesses don't apply it.

So my question to you is do you have an up-sell in your business?

If you don't, you may want to consider using this approach as there's never a better time to sell to a client when they've just bought from you and have loved what you delivered.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject. The good, the bad and the ugly!

No comments:

Post a Comment